In an effort to continue expanding our authorized set of digital tools for instruction, HCPSS has curated a new set of supplemental digital tools that are available only through Google’s menu of additional services. HCPSS is committed to leveraging technology in ways that ensure all students have access and opportunity to communicate, collaborate, create, and innovate safely and responsibly anywhere, anytime in support of learning. These supplemental digital tools are approved by HCPSS and comply with federal, state and Howard County Board of Education student data privacy policies. Due to Google’s settings, students must access this set of tools by utilizing Google’s menu of additional services, which requires consent by a parent or guardian.
To provide consent:
A parent or guardian must provide consent for each student by selecting the student’s name at the top of the page.
The digital tools currently included are:
● YouTube for grades 6-12- This additional service or authorized Supplementary Digital Tool, may show non-targeted ads to your child and may use collected information to provide, maintain, and develop new Additional Services. To view the terms of service for these Additional Services, please visit: https://gsuite.google.com/terms/additional_services.html. To read Google’s answers to frequently asked questions about student data privacy and security, please visit: https://edu.google.com/why-google/privacy-security.
After a parent/guardian provides consent:
● There may be a delay of up to three days before the apps appear in the Google menu and some tools may automatically appear on the Chromebook once consent is provided by a parent or guardian without the need to install them.
● HCPSS cannot guarantee that apps are available on devices other than HCPSS Chromebooks.
● Teachers may or may not choose to use any or all of these apps during instruction. Students will be notified when a particular app will be used for instruction.
● If you do not provide consent for your student’s access to these digital tools, your student’s teacher will provide alternative enrichment activities.
● In addition to these Google tools, HCPSS has approved a robust set of supplemental digital tools. Your child’s teacher will notify you of the particular supplemental digital tools being used in each class via email or on their Canvas course page.
For more please contact Ms. Han, media specialist, at email@example.com